We are proud to be working in partnership with HeppSY to increase the number of young people from South Yorkshire progressing to higher education.
Helping students to progress is particularly important for our region. In comparison to the rest of the country, South Yorkshire has lower numbers of adults undertaking university level study and, those in employment are less likely to have managerial or professional level roles.
Measures of social mobility for Doncaster are ranked as one of the lowest in the country and Doncaster is one of 12 Opportunity Areas selected by the government to invest in with the aim to improve student outcomes.
Trinity Academy’s goals in line with HeppSY’s are to –
- reduce the gap in higher education participation between the most and least represented groups
- support young people to make well-informed decisions about their future education
- support effective and impactful local collaboration by higher education providers working together with schools, colleges, employers and other partners
- contribute to a stronger evidence base around ‘what works’ in higher education outreach and strengthen evaluation practice in the sector.
We will achieve the goals through:
- providing impartial, sustained and progressive higher education outreach from a range of providers tailored to the needs of young people in target areas
- providing open, transparent and impartial routes for schools and colleges to access outreach activity from a range of higher education providers
- supporting a local partnership infrastructure now and in the future which can act as a vehicle for activity on a range of agendas relating to access and participation, including activity set out in providers’ access and participation plans
- robust evaluation at both local and national levels, including capability-building support.
Click here for the link to the Trinity Academy HeppSY case study.
May 2018 – HeppSY+ HE Can initiative, aimed at increasing confidence, resilience and understanding of higher education opportunities – targeting young men.
Students from Trinity Academy have embarked on a six-month motivational initiative to aid them in progressing to Higher Education: HECan. The HECan project has been developed by HeppSY+ and spans the rest of the academic year.